Wednesday, January 4, 2017

Patterns

Here is a really short video of making patterns.  I like to overlap patterns, use patterns of different scale, density, different colors, and varying amounts of contrast with the ground.

This is just an example of contrasting scale. The stripes on the left are painted, the ones on the right are collaged. 

In this painting, 12"x12", I used the contrast of scale and varying contrast of value to create the focal area.

This is the study I am demonstrating in the video.  It is 9"x12".

This is student work from a workshop.  We were creating small collages using contrasting patterns.

Student work from an online  class.  I love the very loose use of pattern here.

In this pattern study, 10"x10", I'm using various scales of pattern, and varying degrees of contrast.

I use the pattern of red/orange dashes, and the spatter of turquoise to bring this piece together.  It is 9"x9".

This is one of a series in which I played with pattern overlapping, and different scales of pattern.  I believe this is 10"x10".

Just a sampling of easy-to-make patterns

"Pattern Play", 8"x8", features a variety of patterns interacting and overlapping.
Patterns are easy and fun.  Using them, however, requires careful observation and restraint.  A little goes a long way. Try it out  Play with pattern and see where it takes you!

8 comments:

  1. I love these - and I always wonder how the heck you come up with all these ideas to play with...you are amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jane! I can't tell you how much I enjoy your blog and your online workshops (I'm working on the Dynamic Composition one right now.) I was wondering if you had any tips on how to make the paint spread more evenly and easily. Do you typically use a glazing medium or flow aid? Or do you most often use straight paint and water? Thanks for all the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jackie. Thanks! I generally use glazing medium, as it helps the paints stay wet longer. I do NOT use water with acrylics unless I specifically want the watercolor effect. Enjoy the Dynamic Composition!

      Delete
  3. Hi Jane. I'm playing in my Art Journal and thinking of patterns I see in nature - but too many patterns confused me. Your exploration is an inspiration to stick to one pattern and vary it in scale and technique. I think that's do-able for now. Thank You for sharing... :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOVE the layers of patterns. Great colors and inspiration.

    ReplyDelete

I have had some spam comments lately, advertising of stupid stuff. So I am moderating comments until I can figure out a better way to prevent spam. THANKS!