Tuesday, January 5, 2016

3'x3' Canvas finished!

I finally finished "Scaled Up #1".  The process is discussed here and here.  I wanted to see what would happen if I tried to scale up a small piece (10"x10") into a large piece (36"x36").  It was an interesting journey. 

"Scaled Up #1", acrylic, graphite, collage on canvas, 36"x36"

I will be putting this piece up in my gallery along with other larger works on canvas, as soon as I get a group of them ready for the photographer. I am updating my online gallery, but it is open for business in the meantime. However, if you can't live without the piece, it is available now for $2550, which includes shipping to anywhere in the US.

Scaled Up #1
$2550. USD includes shipping to USA


Just for fun, let's take a look at the same image in gray scale:

Scaled Up, desaturated

Works pretty well, I think.  I am reluctant to say that a piece has to work in black and white in order to work in color.  For example, some of the colorfield painters' work depends on values being very similar.  See my post about that here.  However,  value range is one thing to look at if your piece is not working.  Here is a previous stage of Scaled Up, which I discussed in this post, along with its desaturated version:


Desaturating the piece in Photoshop was just one way to get a fresh view of the piece.  And just for kicks, let's look at the original piece on which this is based, which is called "Grid #7":


Just another look at the piece.  I think the black and white version could us a little more black.  But I like the actual version.  It is 10"x10", acrylic and collage on panel, and is available in my online gallery

Thanks for visiting!

8 comments:

  1. Hi Jane it's nice to be following you now...I like all of them!! Have a blessed day dear, will be back soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This worked so well! I am sure there was a lot of thought put into this piece as you worked to scale it up and up and up!

    ReplyDelete
  3. brilliant piece Jane!!! I have never worked on such a large scale. I was just reading about using gray scales to see the values in your work. Thanks for sharing your examples!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Excellent work! I love the delicate balance between the lines and the large blue shape, and between the transparent and the opaque. I also sense movement in this piece. Well done! Congratulations! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. This was an interesting post to follow. The scale up has more complexity, even within the individual color fields. Perhaps scale gives you room to do that. Excellent finished piece; give me encouragement to just keep layering...

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is a stunning piece!!!! I absolutely love it!!!

    ReplyDelete

I have had some spam comments lately, advertising of stupid stuff. So I am moderating comments until I can figure out a better way to prevent spam. THANKS!