Thursday, August 25, 2011

Using Found Text

I'm back in the studio for a bit making some new collages. These are made using junk mail and discarded paperback covers (well, I scanned some of the covers and printed them out so I could use them over and over again). They are influenced by two artists I've recently discovered on Flickr, Melinda Tidwell and Kurt Nimmo, both of whom use various forms of found text to make brilliant collages. I also posted these on The Sketchbook Challenge blog as my contribution to this month's theme, Everyday Objects. Paperbacks and junk mail seemed appropriate materials for this theme.

Cultural Literacy


Cultural Literacy 2


The Shape You're In


Chapter 5 in Collage Journeys is about using text in collage, a subject I'm recently revisiting. I will be offering a class locally here in Vermont on the use of text and image in collage, and will also be offering a version of it online starting in October. Don't worry, I will scream and shout about this new online offering - on the blog and e-mail - as soon as I have it nailed down. Thanks for visiting!

13 comments:

  1. As always great work Jane. Reading your blog is always a lesson for me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like the energy here Jane, it jumped right out of my blog roll and I had to come and look see. Wonderful creative spirit. xox Corrine

    ReplyDelete
  3. these are GORGEOUS pieces , JAne!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wonderful, I love the surprises one can get with the inclusion of a little text or a special graphic element in a collaged background.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wonderful backgrounds I like the paint dribble and the odd word Dxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love these! Lots of impact from a little bit of text. Mysterious and evocative!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Jane... love these.. no surprise. I always learn something from you. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Just found your collage blog and I think it's very inspiring. These artworks using text and print are brilliant.

    ReplyDelete
  9. As always, I love the structure of your work and these particularly appeal to me because of the use of text. So I had to check out the other two artists you mention and they are fab as well! Thanks for sharing their inspiring work. I can't wait to try the idea and see what I come up with!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Just love your natural way to collage--such a great eye.
    P.S. I hope you wait until late October for that online class!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am loving these Jane- I love your chapter on found text as well- I use found text sometimes- I got a couple of old romance novels at our library's book sale a few years back and there is rich text fodder there to last a lifetime!

    ReplyDelete

I have had some spam comments lately, advertising of stupid stuff. So I am moderating comments until I can figure out a better way to prevent spam. THANKS!